Calhoun Historical Markers

Cane Creek Furnace


Erected 1840, 8 mi. north. Second producer of pig iron built in Alabama. Iron made here was shipped to Mobile for Mexican War ordnance; later to Selma and Rome for Confederate Arsenals. 1864 Furnaces destroyed by Federal Cavalry raiders under General Rousseau.
[Before 1965: U.S. Hwy 78 east of Eastaboga. Missing in 2016.]


10th Alabama Volunteers-Army of Northern Virginia, C.S.A.


This regiment took part for four years in major battles of the Virginia theater. It served with distinction for dash and courage, suffering heavy casualties. Officers regiment's organization June 4, 1861, at Montgomery, Alabama: Colonel John H. Forney, Jacksonville; Lieutenant Colonel James B. Martin, Jacksonville; Major Taul Bradford, Talladega. Company A: Captain John H. Caldwell, Saint Clair County. Company B: Captain Alburto Martin, Jefferson County. Company C: Captain Rufus W. Cobb, Shelby County. Company D: Captain Franklin Woodruff, Calhoun County. Company E: Captain John T. Woodward, Talladega County. Company F: Captain James D. Truse, Saint Clair County. Company G: Captain William Henry Forney, Calhoun County. Company. H: Captain Woodford R. Hanna, Calhoun County. Company I: Captain Abner A. Huges, DeKalb County. Company K: Captain J. C. McKenzie, Talladega County. Among officers of regiment killed in action: Colonel John J. Woodward, Lieutenant Colonels James B. Martin and James E. Shelley, Captains Pickens and W. Black, George P. Brown, Henry N. Coleman, Walter Cook, Robert W. Cowan, William Lee, Richard C. Ragan, George C. Whatley. Disbanded at Appomattox, Va., April, 1865, by order of General Robert E. Lee. 
[1957: In town square on AL Hwy 21 in Jacksonville 33.81370 N   85.76178 W]


Freedom Riders


On May 14, 1961, a Greyhound bus left Atlanta, GA carrying among its passengers seven members of the Congress of Racial Equality (CORE), a.k.a. the "Freedom Riders," on a journey to test interstate bus segregation. The bus was met by an angry mob at the bus station in Anniston, AL where tires were slashed and windows broken. Upon leaving Anniston, the bus was followed by the mob to this site where the driver stopped to change the tire. The crowd set the bus on fire and attacked passengers as they departed. The incident served to strengthen the resolve for the civil rights movement. 
[2007: AL Hwy 202 at mile marker 4 southwest of Anniston 33.63473 N   85.91003 W]


Governor Thomas E. Kilby 
1865 - 1943


Outstanding local industrialist as President, Kilby Steel Company; Chairman, Board of Directors, Alabama Pipe Company; President, City National and Anniston National Banks. Served as Mayor of Anniston (1905-09); state Senator (1911-15); Lieutenant Governor (1915-19); Governor of Alabama (1919-23). 


His administration as Governor of Alabama notable for sound business principles, for prison reform, for advancement and expansion of charitable institutions, and for constitutional amendments which provided state bond issues for highway and bridge development and for building the State Docks in Mobile. 


Governor Kilby was a member of Grace Episcopal Church and a member of the vestry. His interment is on the hill, near fence, at Highland Cemetery. 

[2001: 10th Street @ Johnston Drive in Anniston 33.65717 N   85.81445 W ]


Grace Episcopal Church


Called "A poem of cedar and stone," its history is intimately related to that of Anniston. Town Founders, Daniel Tyler and Samuel Noble, inspired its conception, funded its construction and caused the Woodstock Iron Company to donate the land on which it was built. George Upjohn, Architect, and Master Stonemason, William Jewell, used native pink sandstone and Tennessee knotty cedar to emulate Solomon's Temple. The Gothic Revival edifice, the oldest church in town, was organized on April 8, 1881, built in 1882-5, and consecrated by Bishop Richard H. Wilmer on May 19, 1886. Its first service was conducted on Christmas Eve, 1885.
[1987: 1000 Leighton Ave, Anniston 33.65722 N   85.82561 W ]


Jacksonville-First County Seat


1833-99. Town first called Drayton. Renamed in 1834 to honor President Andrew Jackson. Seat moved to Anniston in 1899. Calhoun County originally was Benton County, named for Colonel T. H. Benton, Creek War officer, later U.S. Senator from Missouri. Renamed in 1858 for John C. Calhoun, Champion of South in U.S. Senate. Benton's views by then unpopular in South. 
[1956: In town square on AL Hwy 21 in Jacksonville 33.81368 N   85.76115 W]


John Horace Forney

1829-1902. Major General, C.S.A. A graduate of West Point, he resigned from U.S. Army to volunteer services to the State of Alabama. Ably lead Confederate forces at Manassas, Pensacola, Vicksburg, Mobile, and Texas.
[1956: In town square on AL Hwy 21 in Jacksonville 33.81406 N   85.76139 W ]


John Tyler Morgan


1824-1907. Lawyer, Soldier, Senator. Lived here in 1838. 1862-65: Colonel of 51st Alabama Cavalry, which was raised by him in this county. 1863-65: Brigadier General C.S.A. with Wheeler's Cavalry. 1876-1907: United States Senator. Distinguished Statesman of Alabama. 
[1963: In town square on AL Hwy 21 in Jacksonville 33.81358 N    85.76141 W ]


Joseph William Burke


1835-1900. Lawyer, Industrialist, Patriot. Brigadier General, U.S.A., General Burke helped rebuild Alabama's mining and manufacturing interests after the Civil War. He helped establish the Catholic Church at Jacksonville. His home, "Bellevue," occupied the present site of Jacksonville State College.
[1963: On NE corner of the lawn of Bibb Graves Hall, Jacksonville State University, AL Hwy 21
33.82354 N    85.76519 W ]


Ladiga Cavalry Skirmish


October 28, 1864. Last fighting between armies of Hood and Sherman. Here Ferguson turned back Kilpatrick's larger force. These two armies fought all summer from Chattanooga to Atlanta, west to here. To split the South, Sherman turned and led Union forces in March to Sea. Hood withdrew to reoccupy Tennessee, fighting the battles of Franklin and Nashville.
[1956: 1660 US Hwy 278 East, Piedmont 33.940552 N 85.58405 W]


Major John Pelham


Born here September 7, 1838. Commanded Horse Artillery of Northern Virginia, C.S.A. Killed at Kelly's Fort, Virginia, March 17, 1863. Styled "The Gallant Pelham" by Robert E. Lee.
[1963: US Hwy 431 north of Anniston near mile marker 238 33.73143N   85.87879 W ]


Major John Pelham


1838-1863. "The Gallant Pelham" as called by Robert E. Lee. Commanded Artillery, Army of Northern Virginia. Cited for conspicuous valor many times. Killed in action in Virginia. 
[1963: AL Hwy 21 (Pelham Road) @ James Street SE 33.80707 N    85.76127 W]


Parker Memorial Baptist Church


On July 3, 1887, a congregation of 45 people met at the Opera House on Noble Street to organize a new church. Originally called Second Baptist Church, the name soon was changed to Twelfth Street Baptist Church. 


In 1889, it became Parker Memorial Baptist Church in memory of Mrs. Cornelia A. Parker, whose husband gave the money for a new building that was dedicated in March of 1891. 


The mission was and continues to be "Ministering to the World . . . Beginning at Our Own Front Door."
[1997: U.S. Hwy 78, 1205 Quintard Ave, Anniston 33.66022 N    85.82643 ]


Site of Oxford College


1867-1900. Important in latter 19th century by educating boys and girls of area. Land and two-story brick building provided by sponsoring citizens. Headed by John H. Dodson from founding until 1900, when he became state superintendent of education. Among its noted graduates were state superintendents of education J. W. Abercrombie and H. C. Gunnels.


[1963: Found in the maintenance shop of Oxford City Schools. It has been beautifully refurbished, and will in the future be re-erected near 33.61287 N   85.83168 W]


Tallasseehatchee


Creek Indian War 1813-14, November 3, 1813. General John Coffee, commanding 900 Tennessee Volunteers, surrounded the Indians nearby and killed some 200 warriors. This was the first American victory of the war. It avenged the earlier massacre of 517 at Ft. Mims by Indians.
[1954: US Hwy 431 near Wellington near mile marker 244 33.81034 N  85.90411W]


Thomas C. Hindman


1828-1868. The Arkansas Congressman and General had lived here (1833-1844). Veteran of the War with Mexico. Elected to U.S. Congress in 1858 and 1860. Served in Trans-Mississippi Department C.S.A. as Brigadier General from 1861-1862. Served with the Army of Tennessee as Major General from 1862-65.
[Before 1965: Jacksonville, missing in 2010]