HOUSTON HISTORICAL MARKERS

Kinsey Baptist Church
Organized in 1891 as Enon Baptist Church, the church was also formerly known as First Baptist Church of Kinsey and Kinsey Baptist Church of Christ.  The present name was adopted in 1907.  Organizational services were overseen by Rev. Ephraim Knowles.  Fourteen charter members drew up and signed a church covenant; they were led in singing “Amazing Grace” before extending to each other the hand of fellowship.  The Rev. D. E. Burdeshaw served as the first pastor.  Early meetings were held on the second Saturday and Sunday of each month. In 1911, the church reported 68 active members. In 1956, a brick building replaced the first wooden structure; the original church bell is displayed on the property.  A new sanctuary was constructed in 1978. 
Dedicated October 16, 2016, on the occasion of the church’s 125th anniversary.
[2016:  6745 Walden Dr., Dothan, AL 36303.  31.29555 N,  -85.34513 W]


Pilgrim Rest Baptist Church - East

Constituted to the glory of God by early settlers in 1859, in then Henry County, Ala. Originally with the West Florida Baptist Association, joined Columbia Baptist Association in 1887. First church built of logs. First members were Nathan Whiddon, Mary Whiddon, Elizabeth Stephens, Sarah Parker, A.B. Williams, Moses Parker, Aner M. Blackwell, Sarah Stapleton, Mary Parker. First deacons were Nathan Whiddon, A.B. Williams. Church became part of Houston Co. in 1903. Present church built in 1911, with improvements since added. Church cemetery began circa 1904, previous burials were in nearby church and family graveyards.
[2003: Friendship Road at County Road 4, near Crosby 31.0200 N -85.1245 W]