limestone historical markers

A County Older Than the State-Limestone County

Created Feb. 6, 1818 by Alabama Territorial Legislature from lands ceded by Cherokee Nation 1806 and by Chickasaw Nation in 1816. Named for creek (and its limestone bed) which runs through county. Few settlers here until Indian treaties. Athens became county seat in 1818. Limestone was the first Alabama county to be occupied by Federal troops during the Civil War. 
[Before: 1965: Limestone Co. Courthouse, Athens]

Albert S. Johnston

General, CSA. March 9-20, 1862. In a dash to repel invasion of Mississippi Valley he led Army of Tennessee across the river here. While here he planned campaign for the Battle of Shiloh.
[Before 1965: U.S. Hwy 31]

Athens College

A liberal arts college. 1822 Athens Female Academy founded by patriotic citizens. 1843 Raised to college level under Methodist patronage. First college building, Founders Hall (1842-3), still used for classes. Unbroken service since 1822. 
[Before 1965: U.S. Hwy 31]

General N. B. Forrest, C.S.A.

North Alabama Raid, September 23-30, 1864. Hemmed in by superior forces Forrest's fast moving cavalry, raided and destroyed Union supply lines and strong points, captured 2,360 men, valuable stores. By swift action, surprise and bluff Forrest disrupted Union military plans from Decatur to Columbia.
[Before 1965: U.S. Hwy 31, south of Athens]

Oakland United Methodist Church

Generations of African-American families have worshiped here, beginning with services held under a brush arbor prior to the Civil War. In August of 1879, the land for the Oakland Methodist church was deeded to parishioners In a wooden one-room building, they worshiped and operated their own private school, serving the surrounding communities and producing a number of ministers and educators. The Limestone County Board of Education took charge of the school in 1929 until it closed at the end of the 1952 school year. After the original structure was destroyed by a tornado, the Oakland Methodist Episcopal church - which became the Oakland United Methodist Church in 1972 - was rebuilt. Renovations to the structure were completed in 1990.