Named for Thomas H. Watts
CSA Attorney General (1862-63) and Alabama Governor (1863-65)
The camp on this site served as a military hospital, a camp of conscription and instruction, a supply depot, and a cemetery during the War Between the States. At one time, there were hundreds of headstones and rocks marking the final resting place of soldiers who were buried here. The Camp Watts conscription camp was ordered closed after the fall of Vicksburg on July 4, 1863. The hospital remained open, staffed by volunteers under the guidance of Juliet Opie Hopkins who relied on charitable donations from Ladies Aid Societies throughout Alabama. She also used her personal funds to keep the hospital operating.
[2007: On County Road 52, south of Notasulga, 1.1 miles south of intersection of Tuskegee St. and Union Camp Rd.
32.53365 N 85.68062 W]
George Stiggins, 1788-1845
Unmarked grave in Cubahatchie Baptist Church Cemetery. Half-blooded Creek Indian, planter, soldier, Indian agent, and historian, Stiggins lived on a nearby farm fronting the Federal Road from 1831 until his death. There he wrote "A Historical Narrative of the Genealogy, Traditions, and Downfall of the Ispocoga or Creek Indian Tribe of Indians" from his firsthand knowledge of the Creeks, their leaders, and the Creek War of 1813-14. His sister, Mary, was married to William Weatherford (Red Eagle).
[1990: 1060 Old Federal Road, Shorter AL (south of US 80)
32.39454 N 85.92496 W]
Little Texas Tabernacle and Campground
The "Little Texas" Methodist Tabernacle and Campground site of Camp meetings since the 1850's. The Tabernacle-a place of worship-was built by black and white settlers of the area.
The original structure was made of hand-hewn timbers, wooden pegs, handsplit shingles and sawdust floor. Sides were open except for fence-rail barriers.
Worshipers camped in open air or in temporary wooden barracks called "tents" during long revivals. When revivals were in progress, the campground was governed by camp rules adopted and enforced by religious leaders. Williams Chapel was built later.
[1986: County Road 69 @ County Road 71, 1.4 miles south of US Hwy 80
32.44258 N 85.56818 W]
Northern boundary here at 32° 28'. From Georgia line to Mississippi River, territory extended south to 31°, present Florida line. Created by Congress in 1798. 1802 Georgia gave up claim. 1804 Enlarged north to Tennessee. 1817 Alabama Territory created. 1819 Alabama became 22nd state.
[Before 1965: U.S. Hwy 29; missing in 2010]
Union Christian Church
Union Christian Church began in spring 1897, under a brush arbor approximately 4 miles northeast of this site. Two acres were donated by future Congressman Charlie W. Thompson, of Tuskegee. Rev. John Allen Branch was the first minister. The original church building was completed in 1899. Worship services continued there until June 1937 when fire destroyed the building. After a vacant school building and 5 ½ acres of land were purchased from the State Board of Education at this site, a new church was dedicated on September 19, 1937. That facility was replaced by the present church building, dedicated March 19, 1963. The vision of its founders has provided a strong faith community in Union Christian Church (Disciples of Christ).
[1997: 1111 County Road 69, Tuskegee
32.43793 N 85.57013 W]