Burnt Corn Spring
The historical Burnt Corn Spring is located near this point on the Old Federal Road – the spring poured into the west branch of the creek that took its name. James Cornells had a residence at the spring before 1813. In the summer of 1813, a war party of 280 Creek Indians burned Cornells’ residence and corncribs while in route to obtain guns and ammunition from the Spanish governor in Pensacola. Some 20 miles south of here, a party of one-third of the warriors returning from Pensacola encountered Col. James Caller and 180 Mississippi militiamen who were intent on intercepting them. Caller and his men camped at this site on July 26th, before turning south on the Wolf Trail to engage the Indians in a skirmish at a ford on Burnt Corn Creek. What had begun as a Creek civil war spilled over into this Battle of Burnt Corn Creek, the opening of hostilities between the warring Creeks and white settlers in the area. With the massacre at Mims’ stockade the next month – August 30, 1813 – the Creek Indian War of 1813-1814 was underway. A U.S. post office was established at this spring in October 1817, about the time Mississippi became a State and Alabama a Territory. [2012: 6729 County Road 5, 2 ½ miles south of Burnt Corn]
During the westward expansion of the United States in the early 1800's, those whose destination was the new Mississippi Territory took a right fork off the Federal Road which led to the Alabama River ferry at Claiborne. After the land cessions of the Creek Indians in 1814, Claiborne became one of the fastest growing settlements in the old Southwest, attracting a number of Alabama's early prominent men. Among them were future state governors John Gayle, John Murphy, and Arthur Bagby. Claiborne also was the home of William Barrett Travis, who traveled to Texas and became the hero of the Alamo in 1836.
Creek Indian War 1813-1814.
Built by General Ferdinand L. Claiborne as a base for his invasion of the Alibamo country with U.S. Regulars, Lower Tombigbee Militia, and friendly Choctaws. Claiborne's campaign culminated in the American victory over the Creeks at the Holy Ground.
Indian Springs Baptist Church
This sanctuary was built one mile west of this site about 1825 near springs used by local Indians. The original wood-frame building survived virtually unchanged, with no modern conveniences.
An Indian Springs petitionary letter was presented to the Bethlehem Baptist Association, meeting in Monroe County, by L.W. Lindsay and A. Curry on 26 September 1834. The petition was cordially received by the association.
The newly constituted church had 22 charter members and held Sabbath meetings on third Sundays. Baptisms were held in the springs nearby which gave the church its name.
For more than a century the modest church was an inspiration as our ancestors brought forth the earth's bounty, worshiped God and led lives of quiet dignity.
Listed on the Alabama Register of Landmarks and Heritage on 26 June 2003.
[2003: Hwy 21 south of McWilliams]
Masonic Lodge #3
Oldest building in Monroe County
Erected 1824 with funds from a public lottery. Lower floor served as a Baptist Church and a Court Room in which William B. Travis, then a resident of Claiborne, practiced law. Visited by General Lafayette April 6, 1825. Moved to its present location in 1884. Preserved by the Perdue Hill's Women Club.
Old Monroe County Courthouse
The Old Monroe County Courthouse, designed by prominent Southern architect Andrew Bryan, was built between 1903 and 1904 during the tenure of Probate Judge Nicholas Stallworth. One of two buildings of this type designed by Bryan (a sister courthouse in LaGrange, Georgia was destroyed by fire), the architectural style is Romanesque with Georgian influence. It was constructed by Louisville, Kentucky contractor M. T. Lewman. The courthouse was the seat of most county offices and the site for court cases until the construction of the new courthouse in 1963. The lasting fame of this building is derived from the Pulitzer Prize-winning novel To Kill A Mockingbird, as well as the motion picture of the same name which features the now-famous courtroom scene. Today this site is on the National Historic Register and is a national literary Mecca.
[1996: North Alabama Ave., Monroeville]
Perdue Hill Industrial School
The Perdue Hill Industrial School was founded by Patrick J. Carmichael after he moved to this area in 1918. Carmichael acted as both the principal and teacher during the early years of the school, which was originally a one-room structure serving eleven students. The State of Alabama provided $75 annually towards school operating costs, and students paid a tuition of .25 each year. When money ran short for the African-American children that the school served, tuition was often paid with chickens or cans of syrup. Over the next forty-six years, Carmichael was instrumental in the growth of the school, which ultimately reached twelve rooms which provided educational space for 250 students and ten teachers. The school closed in 1964, and Carmichael was honored in 1968 by the Alabama State Senate for "outstanding accomplishments and contributions to humankind."
[1996: Perdue Hill]
On this site stood the home of the Faulk family of Monroeville, relatives of the writer Truman Capote. Capote himself lived in this home between 1927 and ca. 1933, and for several years spent his summer vacations here. Two of the Faulk sisters operated a highly successful millinery shop located on the town square. The third sister, affectionately known as "Sook," was the inspiration for the characters in the Grass Harp, The Thanksgiving Visitor, and A Christmas Memory. The original structure on this site burned to the ground in 1940, and the second home was demolished in 1988. Monroeville remained important to Capote throughout his life, and he returned to area many times in the years before his death to visit surviving relatives.
"I won't be here forever, Buddy. Nor will you ....The Lord willing, you'll be here long after I've gone. And as long as you remember me, then we'll always be together."
Truman Capote, The Thanksgiving Visitor