A County Older Than the State-Morgan County
Alabama Territorial Legislature created this county in 1818 from lands ceded by Cherokee Indians in 1816. County first named Cotaco, for large creek in county. Named Morgan County in 1821 for Maj. Gen. Daniel Morgan, Revolutionary hero, winner over British at Battle of Cowpens. County often invaded by both armies in War Between the States. Until 1891 county seat at Somerville. Then county seat moved to Decatur. Named for Stephen Decatur, naval hero against Tripoli pirates and in War of 1812.
[1958: Cain St. NE, west of Ferry Street, Decatur 34.60762 N 86.98403 W]
Battle of Decatur
The Battle of Decatur, Oct. 26-29, 1864, was the result of Confederate Lt. Gen. John Bell Hood's effort to move his army across the Tennessee River and into central Tennessee in an attempt to reclaim Nashville. The engagement occurred as part of the larger Franklin-Nashville Campaign. The Union garrison at Decatur, commanded by U.S. Brig. Gen. Robert S. Granger, prevented Hood from crossing and forced him to move his army westward and eventually cross the river at Tuscumbia some 40 miles away. Ultimately the engagement here would delay Hood's crossing of the Tennessee River and contribute to his failure in December to retake Nashville for the Confederacy. A lack of provisions for his starving army and stiff resistance put forth by Granger's garrison, combined with the arrival of two Union gunboats, convinced Hood and his superior, Confederate Gen. P.G.T. Beauregard, who had arrived on the scene the night of Oct. 27, that further action against Decatur would be foolhardy. During the engagement, the South suffered approx. 450 casualties, whereas the Union lost 155 men.
[2015: Inside Founder's Park (Corner of Bank St. NE and Church St. NE) in front of Old State Bank near flagpole, Decatur 34.614034 N 86.9834667 W]
Cedar Plains Christian Church
Ceadar Plains Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) was the first congregation in Alabama - 1837 - of the first denomination formed on American soil - 1832 - Christian Church (Disciples of Christ). Originally meeting in homes, the first structure, a log cabin, was erected in 1849, serving the dual purpose as a church and school for early pioneers. The first frame structure was erected in 1884, refurbished in 1948, and destroyed by a tornado in 1935. The new structure was dedicated October, 14, 1956.
[2007: 390 Cedar Plains Rd at Bramlett Road, Falkville 34.36472 N 86.99651 W]
Cherokee Trail of Tears
Of the various detachments that removed the Cherokee People from their home lands in the southeastern United States, three of them landed in Decatur at what became Rhodes Ferry Park. Due to the difficulty of navigating the Muscle Shoals portion of the Tennessee River, the Cherokee were transported from Decatur Landing to Tuscumbia Landing using the newly built Tuscumbia, Courtland, and Decatur Railroad. On March 7, 1837, the Major Ridge party docked at Decatur with 471 Cherokee. The Lt. Edward Deas detachment landed here on June 9, 1838 with 800 Cherokee, and on June 21, 1838, the Lt. Robert H. K. Whiteley detachment landed with 1000 Cherokee. Out of the three detachments, there was but one documented fatality in Decatur, that of an elderly Cherokee woman. A second documented fatality happened en route between Decatur and Tuscumbia involving a Cherokee man crushed by the train.
[2015: Inside Rhodes Ferry Park on the Banks of the Tennessee River at the corner of Market St. NE and Oak St. NE, Decatur 34.6137167 N 86.9799 W]
First Permanent Court House, Morgan County
Built circa 1837 with special taxes levied for that purpose by Alabama Legislature, 1836. Replaced first court house, built circa 1825. Somerville was incorporated, 1819, county seat 1819-1891. Cotaco County created February 8, 1818, renamed Morgan County, June 14, 1821.
[1967: Courthouse Square at Broad Street, Somerville 34.47307 N 86.79837 W]
First Railroad West of Allegheny Mountains
Tuscumbia Courtland & Decatur RR-Built 1833 to bypass shoals in Tennessee River-absorbed by Memphis & Charleston and by Southern Railway in 1898.
[1952: Wilson St. NE at Harborview Dr., Decatur 34.61454 N 86.98335 W]
Gen. Joseph Wheeler
For whom this lake in Tennessee River is named lived 1836-1906. His home 6 miles west. Lt. Gen. in Confederate Army 1864-65. Major Gen. U. S. Army 1898. Named by Alabama to Hall of Fame, Washington 1922.
[1950: Hwy 31 N at entrance to marina, Decatur 34.61709 N 86.96923 W]
King’s Memorial United Methodist Church
King’s Memorial United Methodist Church, formerly St. Paul’s Methodist Episcopal Church, evolved out of the Decatur First Methodist Episcopal Church, founded in 1827. In 1854, Richard Rather, Charity Barnes Rather, and Robert Murphy led the church’s black congregants in hiring Sawney Price to build a separate sanctuary for them at Lafayette and Bank Street. After the Civil War, Northern Methodists returned to Alabama and, in 1867 at Talladega, the congregation was received into the Alabama Conference. During this Reconstruction era, the Methodist Freedmen’s Aid Society used the church building, then located on Market and Oak Street, as a school. In 1881, the congregation moved to this site, soon after which the City of Decatur leased the church building as the first city-supported facility for black education. Lightning destroyed the church building and parsonage in 1907. The congregation worshipped in railroad cars until famed architect Wallace A. Rayfield was employed to design a raised cottage-style brick sanctuary. The Rev. Willis Jefferson King, later elected Bishop, was invited to lead a revival which proved so successful that the congregation changed the church’s name to honor the preacher’s father in 1908. In 1978, King’s Memorial and Jones Chapel Congregations united to strengthen the Methodist presence in the area. Church buildings built in 1986 and 2014 are currently located on this McCartney Street site.
--------------------------------------- Reverse --------------------------------------------
Howell Echols, Pastor
H. H. Cantrell, Pastor
William H. Blackwell
Lawson H. Hunley, Pastor
Alexander Samuel Williams, Pastor
W. L. Darius, Pastor
Jonas C. Chuman, Pastor
H. L. Murphy
J. E. Martin
C. H. Troup
F. W. Williams
J. H. Harris
H. J. Banks
Matthew H. Banks
W. G. H. Armstrong
[2014: Corner of Vine St. NW and McCartney St. NW, Decatur 34.615975 N 86.989953 W]
Abundant water and fertile land in this area south of the Tennessee River attracted pioneer settlement in the early 1800s. The community established here by three Virginia-born brothers, Hopkins, John, and Theophilus Lacy, took on their name and became the site for a U.S. post office in February 1831. "Lacy's Spring" became "Lacey's Spring" when the postal seal furnished by Washington officials inserted an "e" into the name.
Hopkins Lacy had been active in Tennessee politics prior to his immigration into Alabama and John reportedly had served in the North Carolina militia during the American Revolution. The Lacys became important landowners in the area, promoting settlement and serving in public office. All three brothers were buried in Bartee Cemetery, west of this site.
The spring that had drawn the Lacys to Alabama in the early 19th century was covered over by highway construction in the late 20th century. Built in the 1960s, the north-bound lanes of Hwy 231 obscured the spring but a 48-inch tile placed into the water source allowed the spring to continue flowing.
[2000: US Hwy 231 near mile marker 303 just north of AL Hwy 36 in northeast Morgan County
34.53645 N 86.58897 W]
Old State Bank Building
Erected 1833. Cost $9,482. Classic Revival design. Listed on National Register of Historic Places. Decatur Branch, Bank of The State of Alabama. Chartered 1832 by state legislature, profitable until 1837, charter revoked 1842 and closed. 1842-1901 used as residence, Union Army supply depot, and First National Bank. 1901 purchased by Dr. F. Y. Cantwell. Renovated 1934 by C.W.A. as museum and civic hall. Donated by Mrs. W. B. Edmundson and American Legion Post No. 15 to City. Restored 1982. Site is original lot No. 60 of 1824 Town Plan.
[1983: 944 Bank St. NE, Decatur 34.61407 N 86.98371 W]
Rising Sun Lodge No. 29
Ancient Free & Accepted Masons
Dr. Henry W. Rhodes, for whom Rhodes Ferry Landing was named, was Decatur’s first Postmaster and one of the organizers of the Lodge (Nov. 22, 1826). Chartered in 1827, its first Worshipful Master was Colonel Francis Dancy, builder of the Dancy-Polk House. It is the oldest Lodge in Morgan County and the first fraternal organization in Decatur. Early members were the pioneer settlers of Morgan County. Two of Decatur’s founders, Isaac Lane and General Jesse Winston Garth, were Masons and Directors of the Decatur Land Company which laid out the city streets. A Lodge was built in 1834 with the lower floor used for school and church purposes. Rising Sun Lodge was destroyed by the enemy during the War Between the States (Nov. 25, 1864). In 1873 a Lodge was built on the NW corner of Bank and Pond Streets, across from the Old State Bank. W.W. Littlejohn and Colonel C.C. Harris were Masons and founders of the Decatur Land Improvement & Furnace Company which planned the city of New Decatur (1887). Three members, all doctors in faithful discharge of their Hippocratic Oath, were lost to the 1888 Yellow Fever epidemic. James McGinnis Brundidge, PM, is the only Mason in the history of the Alabama Grand Lodge to be bestowed the title of ‘Honorable Past Grand Master’ (1899). In 1934, the Lodge moved into the Masonic Temple on Johnston Street, formerly the Cotaco Opera House.
[2014: Corner of Church St. NE and Bank St. NE across from Founder's Park in sidewalk near the Old Bank, Decatur 34.3614054 N 86.983722 W]
Schaudies - Banks Cottage
During the 1870s, Samuel Schaudies and Abbie Robinson Schaudies moved to this site from Huntsville and purchased this five-room cottage in 1881 for $800.00. The deed lists this site as part of Lot 84, "Old Town" Decatur. In 1875, their daughter, Tulie Ophelia, was born and, in 1898, she married H.J. Banks in the parlor. He was a descendant of a pioneer Decatur family, notary public, businessman, and son of a city alderman. Their daughter, Athelyne Celest, was born and lived in this cottage for 98 years. She was a tireless church worker, educator, and philanthropist. An academy, city park, and elementary school were named in her honor.
[2006: Sycamore St. north of Wilson St, Decatur 34.61617 N 86.67708 W]
"Vale of Beauty"
The restorative qualities of the mineral springs here attracted settlement in the early 1800s. Variously known as Chunn Springs (after Lancelot Chunn) and Manning Springs (after Robert Manning), the spot was named for early developers of the resort where a hotel and surrounding cabins were erected between 1818 and 1823. By 1834, when the first post ofice was established, it was called White Sulphur Springs.
Jean Joseph Giers acquired the hotel and surrounding property in 1856, renaming it "Valhermoso Springs." Into the 20th century, travelers from all over the world came to the hotel and springs seeking relief from rheumatism, insomnia, consumption, and ailments of the skin, kidneys, stomach, and liver. The hotel closed in the 1920s and was destroyed by tornado in 1950.
[2000: Al Hwy 36 near mile marker 39, 34.50699 N 86.67708 W]