During the War Between the States, Breckinridge Military Hospital was established at what is now Marion Military Institute. Soldiers who died were first buried behind MMI campus. After the war, Ladies Memorial Assoc. had remains exhumed and re-interred here in St. Wilfrid's Cemetery. Redwood tree planted as a living memorial to the fallen soldiers. Grave of Judge Wm. M. Brooks, President of the Alabama Secession Convention of 1861, is nearby.
Members of Hughes-McCollum
Post 5104 VFW and Friends
April 29, 1979
1928 - 1983
Site of the road-house, Green Gables, built in1928, which became the social center of the Black Belt. It was known for its lively but restrained atmosphere provided by a dance floor, juke box, and excellent T-bone steaks. Mr. Walter Kemp was the Manager for many years.
The facade of the white board-and-batten building featured a very large gable as its center section. The roof tile and shutters were green. Two cabins built on the premises were later attached as rear rooms to the main building behind the dance floor. The building burned in 1983.
[2006: Hwy 80 east of Uniontown]
Founded 1838-Milo P. Jewett, President. Deeded in 1843 to The Alabama Baptist Convention. One of the nation's first colleges to offer higher education for women, it has served, since its founding, as a liberal and fine arts college for young women.
[Before 1965: Marion]
Ocmulgee Baptist Church
Organized June 10, 1820
Charles Crow, Pastor 1820-1822, 1829-1845
First President of the Alabama State Baptist Convention
This church has served a continuous congregation on this site since its organization.
The Alabama Baptist
The first issue of The Alabama Baptist was published in Marion, Alabama. General Edwin D. King, a Judson trustee, offered his office for use in printing and distributing the paper from 1843-1852. The building was owned by Milo P. Jewett, president of Judson College. The paper returned to Marion from 1873-1877. Since 1919, The Alabama Baptist has been published in Birmingham as an entity of the Alabama Baptist Convention. The original office of The Alabama Baptist, located across from Siloam Baptist Church, was moved to the Judson campus in 1997 and restored.
Church of the Holy Cross
May 1844 - Episcopalians in Uniontown and Marengo County united to form Union Parish. The parish was admitted to the Diocese of Alabama on May 2, 1845. After the donation of this site in 1847, ladies of the congregation diligently worked to raise sufficient funds for the construction of the first church. Although incomplete for many years, services were first held here in January 1848 for the black and white communicants. In 1853 Union Parish divided and the Marengo County parishioners formed St. Michael's Parish in Faunsdale. In 1863 Church of the Holy Cross was consecrated by Bishop R.H. Wilmer. In 1900 the frame building was replaced by a brick church through the generosity of Mrs. Maria Price Davidson as a memorial to her late husband, Alexander C. Davidson.
Church of the Holy Cross
Architect Edwin H. Oliver of New Orleans designed the Church of the Holy Cross, reputedly inspired by a 10th-century chapel in Amiens, France. The church is regarded as a rare example in the Deep South of the Arts and Crafts style as expressed in religious architecture. The church follows a cruciform plan with a bellcote at the juncture of the cross gables. The lateral walls are reinforced by small buttresses, while shed and gable dormers enliven the roof line. Stained glass windows memorialize prominent parish families. The triple-arched chancel window above the altar is a Tiffany window designed by noted Selma artist Clara Weaver Parrish.
[2004: Franklin St., Uniontown]
The Marion Female Seminary
One of the earliest colleges for women in America. Founded in 1835, was the first of four colleges established in Marion, "The Athens of Alabama." This building, erected in 1850, contained the art studio of Nicola Marschall, who designed here in 1861, the first Confederate flag-The Stars and Bars-as well as the grey uniform of the South. From 1916 to 1970 the building served as a local public school.
Entered National Register of Historic Places 1973.