Academy Street High School
On May 9, 1921, S.B. Innis, C.L. Jenkins, James Henderson, Pres Thomas, and C.B. Brooks, the “colored school committee,” entered into a school mortgage for the construction of a building for “colored school purposes” on East Academy Street. The debt of $3,028.89 was “satisfied in full” on July 18, 1922, whereupon the City of Troy assumed ownership.
Beginning with two grades, one teacher, and a term of seventy-two days in a two-room dwelling, by 1927, the school had become a junior high school with six teachers and six classrooms. Administrators of this period included Mr. John Wiley, Mr. Floyd, Mr. C.L. Jenkins, Mrs. F.M. Innis, and Mr. S.T. Wilson, the first principal.
Mr. A.J. Fields became principal in 1926. His twenty-two years of leadership saw the addition of an auditorium, new programs of Diversified Occupation and Home Economics, and elevation of the school to senior high-school status.
--------------------------------------- Reverse ------------------------------------------
Academy Street High School
The City Board of Education changed the school’s name from “Troy Junior High School on Academy Street” to Academy Street High school in 1941, the year of the school’s first graduating senior class. The building was destroyed by fire in 1946, and a new brick building was erected in 1948.
Mr. C.G. Griffin was principal from 1948 to 1966. During his administration, the school was accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, courses of study were expanded to include vocational agriculture and typing, and an emphasis was placed on band and choir performances. The physical plant saw the addition of an agriculture building and a modern gymnasium.
The school was last under the administration of Mr. John E. Nolen, from 1966 to 1971, during which time two of the school’s three yearbooks were published. The last graduating class was in 1970 with the transition from Academy Street to Charles Henderson High School in January 1971.
[2014: Between Motes and Farrior Streets on E Academy, nearest address 730 E Academy, Troy
31.809223 N 85.962985 W]
Elam Primitive Baptist Church
Constituted March 7, 1830 (about two miles NE of this site) with eight charter members including Elijah Wyatt the first pastor. In 1850's church moved to this location on land given by Deacon James Folmar. Present building erected 1906.
This marker dedicated on the 150th anniversary of church (March 9, 1980) to memory of nearly 100 families who have played prominent roles in this church and community.
[1980: Pike County Road 2215 at Pike County Road 2201, north of Goshen
First Missionary Baptist Church
Organized July 11, 1872, as a Regularly Constituted Independent Missionary Baptist Church, the church was the first African American Baptist church in the Troy area. The Reverend Wright of Perote was called as the first pastor; he was known as “John the Baptist” for his fiery preaching. The first regular church service was held in a brush arbor; the first baptismal service was held in 1873. The men of the church bought three acres of land on Lake Street where the first building, the Baptist Bottom Church, was built. A school, the Lake Street Baptist Academy, followed on the same property. As the congregation outgrew the original building, a new site was purchased and, in July 1906, a new structure was completed. In 1958, that church building was destroyed by fire. The following year, under the leadership of Rev. Collier, the edifice was reconstructed, an event celebrated on the second Sunday in October by the Pastor and members who marched from the Masonic Hall, where services had been held, to the rebuilt church.
[2012: 319 Alphonsa Byrd Drive (was North Brundidge), Troy 31.810978 N 85.96886 W]
First United Methodist Church
The Methodist Episcopal Church of Troy was organized in 1843. The first building was constructed in 1858, on land donated by Ann Dowdell Love, affectionately known as "Granny Love." The second structure was erected in 1888.
The present edifice, completed in 1904, was designed by Frank Lockwood in neo-Romanesque style; the sanctuary is neo-Classical with a saucer-dome ceiling, pendentive arches, and Scamozzi Ionic columns.
Building was placed on the Alabama Register of Landmarks and Heritage by the Alabama Historical Commission on June 30, 1995.
[2002: North 3 Notch Street at East Walnut, Troy, 31.80869N 85.97206W]
Last Indian Battle in Alabama. General Wm. Wellborn and his men attacked and routed 900 Indians camping here during Creek War of 1836. Indians, reluctant to move west, angered by whites seizing land, had plundered as they moved toward new homes in Florida.
[Before 1965, missing in 2007; replaced with following]
Hobdy's Bridge: Last Indian Battles in Alabama
The Second Creek War of 1836 broke out when many Creek Indians resisted forced removal after an 1832 treaty ceded the last of their tribal lands in Alabama. As hostility increased between white settlers pouring into the area and Creeks who were reluctant to move to the West, the Pea River became a favored route for those Indians traveling south to seek sanctuary in a new homeland in Florida. State militia forces attacked and routed Creek Indians camped near here at Hobdy's Bridge in February, and again in March of 1836.
Sponsored by the Lower Creek Muscogee Tribe East, Star Clan, Inc.
[2008: North side of AL Hwy 130, on west (Pike County) side of Pea River. 31.78625N, -85.66583W]
Became county seat of Pike County in 1827. County seat moved to Troy, a more central location, in 1838. Pike County was created in 1821 from lands ceded by Creek Indians in Treaty of Ft. Jackson, 1814.
[Before 1965: missing 2010, US Hwy 29 at the intersection of Ala. Hwy 130 near the site of the former courthouse.]
Mt. Pleasant Cemetery
Founded prior to 1850, at the same time as the original church near Fryer’s Bridge, which became the village of Linwood in the late 1850s. Original cemetery included the graves of both black and white parishioners of the early church. In the 1870s, black communicants established their own congregation and cemetery while the remaining white congregation continued to use the original cemetery. Earliest marked grave site is dated 1858. Among the headstones are those identifying Confederate soldiers.
[2010: South of Mount Pleasant Baptist Church and North of Kelley Cemetery. Nearest PO Address is 5797 CR 6600, Troy (Same as CR 9). Cemetery is across the street from Mount Pleasant Church in the Linwood Community of Pike County. 31.946700 N 85.872192 W]
Founded 1848 by legislative act and donations of citizens. Excellent instruction made it only school of kind for youth in area. Later used as public school until 1929 school consolidation. Orion settled about 1815, by 1830 saw arrival of wealthy planters. Here on Chunnenuggee Ridge they built homes and cultivated valley plantations.
[Before 1965: Pike County Rd., approx. mi. east of US 231 near Pike/Montgomery county line. Marker is missing, 2016]
Philadelphia Presbyterian Church
First Presbyterian Church in Pike County. Organized largely by members of Beaver Creek Presbyterian Church near Camden, South Carolina. They petitioned Presbytery of South Alabama Oct. 18, 1839 and were officially established as a church April 3, 1840. Church was dissolved in April 1917.
Officers during life of church: 1840-1917-ELDERS-R. R., S. R. , J. W., J. A. McLure; J. M. Thompson; E. Ruffin; S. Smyth; B. H. Boyd; J. A. Ramsay; G. C. Barnette; J. D. and Dr. J. A. McEachern. DEACONS-John and Dr. J. A. McEachern, John W., Thomas C. Henry M., Richard U. McLure; W. F. Ferrell; W. A. E. Helms. MINISTERS-D. S. McCormick; A. M. Mooney; M. A. Patterson; A. McMillan; J. M. Peu; G. W. Butler; F. M. McMurry; J. McKee; R. H. Hall; G. R. Foster; R. Kirkpatrick; W. H. White and J. C. Sturgeon.
[Before 1965, Hwy 93, 1.1 miles north of Ala. Hwy 10 in Brundidge. 31.73715N 85.81905W]
Built ca. 1860 on land donated by transplanted Georgians Hugh Ross and Tabitha Miller Rodgers, this school educated Pike County youth until consolidation closed its doors in 1935. Between 1923 and 1935, it was under the direction of H.M. Curry who labored with short terms, limited facilities, and scarce funds. Despite issuing neither report cards nor diplomas, Curry and fellow instructor Sue Edwards Carter were responsible for successfully preparing more than twenty of its graduates for college entry during the school's "golden age." The Rodgers School continues to serve as a community center and inspiration to future generations.
[1995: Pike Co. Road 2203 at Pike Co. Road 2204, north of Goshen 31.78811N 86.11172W]
Salem Baptist Church
Pike County's oldest church. Organized by Dr. C. T. Mahoney. Since 1824 it has enriched the life of his section. Here were organized: Salem Baptist Association, 1839, Baptist General Assoc., 1868, Ladies Aid Society, 1891, Salem-Troy Baptist Assoc., 1904, Women's Missionary Society, 1905. First a log structure, the church had occupied four wooden buildings before the present brick structure, 1939.
[Before 1965: South Main Street (Ala. Hwy 93), in Brundidge 31.71715N 85.81557W]
Three Notch Road
Built by U.S. Army, 1824, from Ft. Barrancas, at Pensacola to Ft. Bainbridge, S. E. of Tuskegee. Here it joined Federal Road leading to Ft. Mitchell in Russell County. Road followed Indian trade trail became main road for settlers and traders before railroads. Scouts notched trees to mark route that ran along this ridge.
[Before 1965: Old courthouse square in downtown Troy 31.80787N 85.97212W]
Troy State Normal School was established by the Alabama General Assembly in 1887. Land and the first building for the original downtown campus and the land for the present site were provided by the City of Troy. The College was moved to the present site in 1930. The State Board of Education authorized the College to grant the bachelor's degree in 1929 and the master's degree in 1956. The College was placed under a separate Board of Trustees in 1967.
The Board of Trustees approved the name change to Troy University effective August 2005.
Troy University's evolution has been reflected in its several names:
Troy State Normal School 1887
Troy State Normal College 1893
Troy State Teachers College 1927
Troy State College 1957
Troy State University 1967
Troy University 2005
[2006: University Avenue in front of C.B. Smith Hall 31.79873N 85.95729W]