Formerly Jenkins Springs. A 19th century watering place and mineral springs resort. 1832: Ceded to United States by Creek Indians before being moved to West in 1836. 1841: Bought by William P. Chilton, later Chief Justice of Alabama. 1873: Bought by John T. Morgan, general in C.S.A., long a United States Senator.
[Before 1965: Ala. Hwy 77; missing in 2010]
The area, home of Creek Indians, was held by them until 1832 when they were forced to move west of Mississippi River. Remains of aboriginal life show an earlier people lived here before the Creeks.
[Before 1965: Ala. Hwy 9, west of Lineville; missing in 2010]
Lineville First United Methodist Church
The first Methodist Church in Lineville began in a brush arbor before the Civil War. In 1861, this tract of land was donated for the construction of a permanent structure, which was completed in 1866. The pastor was the Rev. R. A. Timmons, a Methodist circuit rider. The congregation soon outgrew the small building and constructed a new church featuring a steeple and large wooden cross.
On May 9, 1913, fire swept through the nearby B.C. Bynum Mercantile, igniting the cross and destroying the church. However, the congregation persevered and laid the cornerstone for a new building that same month. Construction of the current building was completed in July 1914. The Family Life Building was constructed in 1979. Among the features of Lineville First United Methodist Church are the beautiful two-story stained-glass windows and the sanctuary in the “Akron design.” Popular at the turn of the century, this plan includes a ceiling-retractable wall to separate or combine worship spaces. Many preachers and laity servants have been sent from this church to proclaim the Gospel of Jesus Christ. The congregation rejoices in its heritage and seeks to be a loving, grace-filled presence in its community. [60220 Highway 49]