The Alabama Baptist Children's Home Site
The Louise Short Baptist Widows' and Orphans' Home, consisting of a 10-room brick residence and related buildings on 80 acres of land fronted on Main Street, Evergreen, for more than 1/4 mile.
It was established by the Alabama Baptist State Convention in 1891 and was chartered by the Legislature of Alabama in the same year.
The idea had been approved by the Alabama Baptist State Convention in 1863 as a haven for children of soldiers killed in the War Between the States.
The Home opened on March 8, 1893, with the Reverend John W. Stewart as the first superintendent. For 30 years it served on this site.
On June 14, 1923, it was removed to Troy, Alabama, and in 1938 was renamed The Alabama Baptist Children's Home.
August 23, 1790—December 2, 1852
In the fall of 1817 Reverend Alexander Travis settled his affairs in South Carolina and immigrated to Conecuh County, where, in the spring of 1818, Beulah Baptist Church was constituted. In rapid succession Travis’ firm resolve and his devotion to the Gospel of Christ led to the successful constituting of other churches in Conecuh County including Belleville, Burnt Corn, Brooklyn, Owassa (now Olive Branch), and Evergreen, as well as others in the surrounding counties and even in Florida.
In 1830, he was elected Moderator of the Bethlehem Baptist Association, a position he filled for twenty years. Reverend Travis’ ministry extended far beyond his ability to interpret the Scriptures to multiple congregations. His zeal for missions conclusively led to his being considered the father of the Baptist denomination in the area where he preached and baptized and adjudicated disputes with courage and unconditional love. Primarily known as a spiritual leader, Reverend Travis was also an advocate for education and was the first chairman of the Board of Trustees for Evergreen Academy.
[2014: 100 Williams Ave., Evergreen]
Anderson Stage Stop
The Old Federal Road connected Washington D.C. to New Orleans, allowing mail, munitions and settlers to come into and through this part of the country. The one remaining stage stop building of the many once along the Old Federal Road is in Monroe County. Its livery stables were on this side of the road, in Conecuh County. Mathew Anderson settled on this property in 1852, farming and running an inn across the road. Carriage, or stagecoach, travelers were allowed to stay in the inn while horsemen were delegated to the livery stables. The well that supplied water still remains. 
Highway 84 – The Old Federal Road
The Old Federal Road was the major highway connecting Washington, D.C. to New Orleans from 1806 through the late 1830s. Only horse paths existed until there was a need for the U.S. Government to get mail, munitions and troops to New Orleans. A treaty signed with the Creek Nation on November 14, 1805 allowed for a Post Road to be built which later became the Old Federal Road. Stops were built every 13 to 16 miles. The Old Federal Road remains the main street of Burnt Corn, Alabama. Notable travelers on this road have included General Lafayette, Francis Scott Key, William Bartram, Colonel Sam Dale, Joseph Thompson Hare (a notorious highwayman) and Vice President Aaron Burr, in 1807 while under arrest for treason. 
Richard Thomas Baggett
March 30, 1817 - October 26, 1881
Richard Thomas Baggett was born and buried here on the Baggett family farm, NE 1/4 Section 4, Township 4 North, Range 10 East. According to early local histories, Richard, the son of pioneers Jesse Baggett and Zilla T. Godwin Baggett, was the first child born to white settlers in Conecuh County. Richard Baggett married Octavia Olivia Tippins and fathered four sons: James Augustus, Jesse Pinkney, George W., and Phillip Henry Baggett.