• Facebook - Black Circle
  • Twitter - Black Circle
  • SoundCloud - Black Circle

First Baptist Church
Organized 1845

First Baptist Church organized the founding year of the Southern Baptist Convention. In 1876 a handsome structure replaced the original unpainted building on the site of the present chapel. In 1902 a brick structure was erected. The church hosted the Alabama Baptist Convention's annual meeting in 1908. An educational wing was added in 1952. After a destructive fire in November, 1977, the present structure was built. Throughout its history the church has devoted its energies to Christ-centered ministries.
[1995: Main St., Roanoke]

Lebanon Christian Church

Founded March 31, 1864 by evangelist Moses Park. William Terry Kirby, Sr. and Nancy T. Greer Kirby donated four acres of land adjacent to their home for the church site. Services were first conducted at a brush arbor on the property, which later became Lebanon Cemetery. The present building, construction in 1887 has been in continuous use and remains virtually unaltered.


Charter members:

Moses Park
Martha Park
Susan Park
James Adcock
Sarah E. Adcock
David Little

Lucinda Kirby
Elizabeth Wheeler
Eliza E. Taylor
Sarah E. Taylor
Amanda Osborne
Ann Bennett
[1996: Co. Rd. 87, Roanoke]

Randolph County

Created December 18, 1832, from Creek Indian cession and named for U.S. Senator John Randolph of Virginia. Wedowee, the county seat, is named for the chief of a Creek Indian village which once occupied this site. First court was held near Triplett's Ferry on the Tallapoosa River, west of Wedowee.